Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes have been identified as the two most backward groups of Indian Society. They include all such castes, races or tribes, which have been declared as scheduled castes and scheduled tribes by the Constitution
of India under the provisions of Article 341 and 342 of the Constitution of
India. Scheduled Castes generally represent those communities, which have suffered from the stigma of untouchability in one form or the other. Scheduled Tribes are generally those who have been living in seclusion in hills and forests, more or less untouched by modern civilization and development.
- i.To implement the reservation policy for SCs/STs in the Universities and Colleges.
- ii.To collect data regarding the implementation of the policies in respect of admissions, appointments to teaching and non-teaching positions in the universities, and in the affiliating colleges and analyze the data showing the trends and changes towards fulfilling the required quota.
- iii. To take such follow up measures for achieving the objectives and targets laid down for the purpose by the Government of India and the UGC.
- iv. To implement, monitor, and evaluate continuously the reservation policy in universities and colleges and plan measures for ensuring effective implementation of the policy and program of the Government of India.
Functions of SC/ST Monitoring Cell
- To circulate Government of India and Commission’s decisions and to collect regularly, on an annual basis, information regarding course-wise admissions to candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the Universities and Colleges for different courses, in forms prescribed, by a stipulated date, and to take follow up action, where required.
- To circulate Government of India orders and Commission’s decisions and to collect information in respect of appointment, training of these communities in teaching and non-teaching posts in the Universities and Colleges, in suitable forms by a stipulated date and take follow up action where required.
- To collect reports and information regarding the Government of India orders on the various aspects of education, training, and employment of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes candidates, for evolving new policies or
modifying existing policy by the Commission.
- To analyze the information collected above and prepare reports and digests for onward transmission to the Ministry of Human Resource Development/University Grants Commission and such other authorities as may be required.
- To deal with representations received from Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes candidates regarding their admission, recruitment, promotion, and other similar matters in Universities/Colleges.
- To monitor the working of the remedial coaching scheme, if approved in the affiliated colleges and universities.
- To function as a Grievances Redressal Cell for the Grievances of SC/ST students and employees of the university and render them necessary help in solving their academic as well as administrative problems.
- To maintain a register for the employment of SCs/STs in the University and Colleges for the candidates belonging to SC/ST communities for various posts in the university/colleges.
- Any other work assigned from time to time to promote higher education among these two communities suffering economic, social and education deprivations.
- The SC/ST Cell exclusively looks after the work related to SC/STs matters and no other work is assigned to the Cell.
- If the required data is not submitted by the given date, UGC reserves the right to withhold either plan or non-plan grant until the required information/data is received. Hence, the universities/colleges are advised to supply the necessary information as required.
- Mr. JYOTHIS K, ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, ME
- Ms. NEETHU SUKUMARAN, ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, CE
- Ms. LAVANYA K C, ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, CSE